If you can’t find one of these ingredients, substitute what you can find. You can add dandelion blossoms if you use only the yellow part and strip off the green petals. In some locations, you will have morels or puffballs available.
- 2 cups chopped wild onion bulbs and tops
- 2 cups torn sheep sorrel leaves
- 2 cups plantain leaves, shredded
- 1 gallon chickweed, shredded
- 1 cup tender greenbrier shoots
- 2 cups violet leaves, chopped
- 1 cup violet or redbud flowers or combination
- 1 cup chopped daylily tubers
- 1 cup diced Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 tablespoon minced green wild mustard seed pods
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4 cup bacon bits (optional)
- Light wine vinaigrette, oil and vinegar with herb salad dressing or other salad dressing
- Combine onion, sorrel, plantain, chickweed, greenbrier, violet leaves and flowers, tubers, artichokes, mustard seed, pine nuts and bacon bits, mixing thoroughly.
- Serve with salad dressing.
Serves 22 to 24
From Tom Squier, in the OWAA Campsite to Kitchen Recipe Book.
[Image: Courtesy of Flickr user space oddities]